Vieux-Sainte-Rose, a real village core
The parish was born in 1740, when intendant Gilles Hocquart decreed its establishment: it's the second on Île Jésus, after Saint-François-de-Sales. The rectory was built as early as 1741 and the first church, made of cedar, in 1746. The village broke off in 1858, became a town in 1918, a city in 1964, then joined Laval at the 1965 merger. A rare thing for a Quebec village: development didn't happen around the church, but around two hubs, one near rue des Patriotes, the other where boulevards Sainte-Rose and Curé-Labelle meet, because of the two old bridges from back then, the Porteous to the east and the Plessis-Bélair to the west.